Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lower Frequency DXing

Last night was my second night of experimentation of the "Ice Bog" antenna. BOG = Beverage On Ground, and mine is on the ice, hence "Ice Bog". 400 feet last night, with lots of room for expansion as long as the weather cooperates. Here's the layout:




So, how well does it work? Well, I don't think conditions were anything special this evening, but here's 50KW VL8K, ABC Northern Territories radio out of Katherine, Australia:




Also, here's Canadian Coastguard weather station in Tofino, BC:







The weather appears like it's going to cooperate and stay well below freezing this week,
 so stay tuned for more Ice Bog reports! I'll scope the bands
out on Saturday and Sunday night and depending on the conditions
I'll either point it towards South America looking for DX down there,
or simply run it east/west scanning the AM broadcast band.

As you can see, I've got plenty of room to work with, the ice is plenty safe to
walk on, and I've got LOTS of wire. The question is: do I have the balls
to push the envelope and make my antenna REAL long? 600ft? (my personal record)
or 1,000ft??? STAY TUNED! 



1 comment:

  1. Did I miss your info about how you terminated the far end?

    ReplyDelete